INeedCoffee contributor Eyal Rosen recently came up with a top 10 accessories list for coffee. There are a few on the list for which there will be little disagreement.
- Coffee Grinder – Amen! The path to every great coffee starts with the grinder.
- Permanent Gold Coffee Filter – If you like drip coffee, I agree that this should be in your Top 10 Coffee Accessories list.
- French Press – Penny for penny it is the best coffee brewing system ever invented. No disagreement from me. This belongs on the list.
- Espresso machine and coffee maker cleaner powder – Yes, but with a caveat. I personally **love** espresso and if a fire broke out, I’d probably grab my espresso machine as I was heading out the door. My guests can walk themselves out. However, I am not a fan of espresso machines under $500. Setting up an espresso savings fund would be a better idea.
There are a few on Eyal’s list that I would never include in the Top 10 Coffee Accessories.
- Coffee pods holster for a Keurig coffee maker – I don’t own, nor desire to ever own, a single serve pod coffee machine.
- Handheld Milk frother – I had one of these many years ago. Junk. A good espresso machine will make this accessory obsolete.
- Handpresso – I think this was listed as a joke. I’ve never played with one, so I will reserve judgement on how good it is. I strongly suspect it doesn’t belong on a Top 10 Coffee Accessories List. The MyPressi seems like a better option for campers hell-bent on getting espresso shots with enough atmospheric pressure while “roughing it” in the outdoors.
What would I add to my Top 10 Coffee Accessories List that didn’t make Eyal’s list?
- Electric Kettle – Being able to quickly heat water for coffee is essential. Don’t waste your precious moments left on Earth waiting for water to boil. Get a good electric kettle.
- Espresso Knock Box – I have to confess that I went a ** long time ** without a knock box. I was a fool. If you have an espresso machine, get a decent knock box.
- Eva Solo – Very few people seem to know about the Eva Solo. It is my favorite non-espresso coffee brewer. Check out Eva Solo Coffee Brewing Tutorial to learn more about this brewer.
PINO Digital Kettle Pro (AMAZON.COM)
Top 10 Coffee Accessories List – Eyal’s original list. Page no longer online.
Eyal Rosen – Contributor page on INeedCoffee.com.
Troubleshooting French Press Coffee – My guide to improving your French Press coffee.
In 2007, Michael moved to America's coffee capitol Seattle, Washington. He has visited close to two hundred different coffee places in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver and met many of the top roasters and baristas in the country. Since 2009, Michael has been the Organizer of the Coffee Club of Seattle, which is a Meetup group of over 600 coffee enthusiasts. Besides the social aspect of the group, the Coffee Club of Seattle partners with local coffee professionals for educational events such as coffee cuppings, brewing demonstrations and roasting tours.
Unrelated to coffee, Michael has a personal blog at CriticalMAS.com which covers several topics including fitness, cooking and economics.
Latest posts by Michael Allen Smith (see all)
- The Coffee Avocado Shake - March 10, 2015
- Making Coffee With the Cowboy Joe Coffee Brewer - February 27, 2015
- Making Lampshades and Flowers With Used Coffee Filters - February 24, 2015