The Coffee Granita is a wonderfully refreshing treat for summer – a light dessert for after the cookout. This has a slight alcoholic kick and it is a little spicy, so it is strictly for adults.
Coffee Granita by TechSavi
Coffee Granita Ingredients
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 shot of Kahlua
- 1/2 shot of Dark Rum
- 2 cups of double strength coffee
Brew the Coffee
I found that a blend of 75% Kenya and 25% Java Timor roasted to a dark but not oily level works particularly well as iced coffee and excels in this recipe. But if you don’t have access to this type of blend, any dark roasted, unflavored coffee will do. All you have to do is brew the coffee at double strength.
Step by Step
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and alcohol in a separate (glass) dish and add the hot coffee.
- Put the mixture in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Take it out of the freezer and use a fork to break up the ice.
- Add 1/2 cup of crushed ice or chipped ice.
- Continue freezing for a total of 3 1/2 hours. Break it up every hour.
The final step is to garnish. Spoon the granita mixture into a serving dish and cover with whipped cream. This recipe serves four.