Humble store-bought pound cake slathered with a coffee-infused custard sauce turned out to be the base for a recent elegant dessert. A former work colleague rolls into town periodically, so dealing with time constraints, the sauce was constructed to give the dessert some sophistication. Homemade pound cake long proven as a base for a wedding cake is preferred for this task. Unfortunately, there was no time to spare before our guest’s whirlwind visit. Thankfully, a store-bought cake worked as a satisfactory base, and no one was aware of the shortcut taken.
The origin of the recipe is questionable, recently I found a similar one on Epicurious.com. I had the recipe for this sauce cut and pasted onto a 3×5″ card. The card was undated, bearing only a brief note stating the sauce was delicious and would have been yummy eaten alone. Definitely a tempting thought! Choose your coffee carefully to achieve the flavor you want, then make this yummy coffee treat to express your own personal taste. Enjoy!
Coffee Custard Sauce
Recipe: Coffee Custard Recipe
Summary: Make a coffee-infused custard sauce.
- 3 Large Egg Yolks
- 1/8 Cup Sugar (More if you wish it to be quite sweet)
- 1 cup Whipping cream
- 1 Teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons dark roasted coffee beans Coarsely Ground (Optional)
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons Kahlua Liqueur (Optional)
- Beat yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until thick and light yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Bring cream to simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot cream into the yolk mixture.
- Return mixture to the same saucepan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until sauce thickens and leaves a path on the back of a spoon when a finger is drawn across, about 3 minutes (do NOT boil).
- Strain the mixture into a clean medium bowl.
- Add coffee powder; stir until dissolved.
- Stir in ground coffee beans.
- Refrigerate until cold, whisking occasionally, for about 1 hour. (Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)
Test Coffee Custard Sauce
Cooking time (duration): 65
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert