Raise your hand if you’ve cleaned your coffee or espresso machine lately.
I thought so.
Some have, but many haven’t. Some can’t remember the last time they did it.
Which is surprising, given how much we care about our coffee.
This tutorial can give you a better cup of coffee, espresso, cappuccino, latte, and more, with a quick demo of why and how to descale your machine.
Descaling removes limescale. Lime deposits form when tap water is heated. Tap water contains minerals – such as calcium and magnesium carbonate – because groundwater seeps through mineral-rich rock or soil before entering the drinking supply.
Here are four reasons to descale your machine, saving the best for last.
- Lime deposits extend brew time and diminish heat transfer, lowering espresso quality.
- Lime deposits build up over time and can clog and corrode the machine.
- Lime deposits make machines less efficient, which wastes energy and has a negative impact on the environment.
- Lime deposits degrade coffee taste.
Coffee is as complex as wine when it comes to taste, and coffee varieties can exhibit a multitude of intriguing flavor notes. The coffee flavor wheel identifies 80+ flavor notes including cherry, nutmeg, hazelnut, woody, whisky, chocolate, jasmine, fresh, malt, smoky, and more.
Flavor notes not welcomed by coffee connoisseurs include limescale, calcified, magnesium, moldy, and bacterial. Decalcification lets the true flavor of coffee beans shine through, without interference.
Made in Switzerland, Durgol Swiss Espresso is a specialized decalcifier for espresso machines of all brands – plus pod/capsule coffee machines, manual coffee makers, tea kettles, and electric water heaters.
Durgol works up to 10 times faster than other branded decalcifiers.
Durgol comes ready to use in single-portion bottles.
Durgol will not damage your espresso machine or leave a residue that can clog it or impart odors.
Durgol packaging is environmentally compatible and recyclable.
This decalcification demo shows how to do it.
Durgol Swiss Espresso: Unless You Want Your Machine to Die of a Heart Attack – Durgol & Frieling by Frieling USA, Inc.
- Pour one single-portion bottle (4.2 fluid ounces) of Durgol Swiss Espresso into the water tank.
- Dilute the descaler with tap water according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Start the decalcification program. If no instructions are given, add tap water into the water tank until the automatic program can be started.
- Catch the outflowing water in a glass or plastic container that is large enough to prevent splashing. Be careful – liquid can be hot.
- Rinse the machine with tap water according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
What’s the most effective cleaner for your coffee machine? We put Durgol, vinegar and citric acid to the test.
After just 1 second, Durgol is working to remove limescale buildup.
After about 2 minutes, Durgol is the only product to remove 100% of the limescale.
Some people decalcify with vinegar or citric acid, but we do not recommend this.
Vinegar or vinegar essence products have an unpleasant smell. Plastic components inside the machine can absorb this objectionable taste, which will then leach back into your espresso.
When you decalcify with citric acid, residue can form and clog the fine lines and valves of your espresso machine. Lime deposits can become sealed under an unremovable layer of residue formed by citric acid.
In addition to espresso machines, Durgol works with pod/capsule coffee makers, manual coffee makers, tea kettles, and water heaters. Here’s how:
- Unplug the appliance and let it cool.
- Pour one 4.2-ounce bottle of Durgol Swiss Espresso into it. You will see a bubbling action that will last for a few minutes.
- Once the bubbling action subsides, fill the vessel with tap water and wait 15 minutes.
- Then rinse the interior with tap water. Do not heat the tea kettle or water heater until it has been rinsed after decalcification is complete.
Decalcify your machines at least every six months, or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Durgol Special Descaler
FAQ – Durgol answers the most frequently asked questions on their site.
US and Canadian customers can purchase Durgol directly from their website. Those in the UK can email [email protected] and Frieling will either make arrangements for shipping or connect them to someone in Europe.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored. INeedCoffee received equipment and compensation for this article.
- Clean Your Coffee Machine – It’s worth it - May 23, 2019