Cincinnati, Ohio is a city proud of its chili heritage. As per the local tradition, Cincinnati chili is uniquely spiced with cinnamon and chocolate, served on pasta and covered with pillowy cheddar cheese, onions, and beans. It is a favorite delicious indulgence for Cincinnatians.
We created an improvement over the original by adding ground coffee.
- Serves 4
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Total time: 35 mins
- 1, 28 oz can Crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- ½ medium white Onion, diced
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 3 medium Jalapenos, diced
- 4 medium cloves of Garlic, minced
- ½ can of Black Beans
- ½ can of Pinto Beans
- ½ can of Red Kidney Beans
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 squares Dark Chocolate (85%)
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ⅛ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp fine Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Molasses
- 1 tbsp finely ground medium roast coffee *
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Once hot, add onion occasionally stirring for 1 min.
- Add garlic and occasionally stir 1 min. Add jalapenos and bell pepper, occasionally stir 1 min.
- Add all dry spices, except the oregano and salt, continually stir for about 1 min.
- Turn heat down to medium-low then add tomatoes and stir. Once heated, add the chocolate and molasses, stirring till blended. Add in the oregano and salt, then finely the beans.
- Bring the chili to a low simmer for 15 mins uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Serve in bowl with your choice of your favorite fixings; shredded Monterrey or Cheddar cheese, avocado, sour cream, and/or chives.
* A single origin Peru from Atlas Coffee was used.
Jared Rosenacker assisted his brother with this recipe.
His love for coffee leads him into a new coffee shop or batch to brew each week. See his travels on Instagram and read about the journey here on the Atlas Coffee Club blog.
While back home in Cincinnati, OH for the Holidays he and his brother, Jared Rosenacker, shared their passion for healthy eating, cooking, and coffee and put together one of their favorite chili recipes to share!