Pastry and bake goods have been served with coffee since antiquity. This recipe offers a quick, easy, and sweet cinnamon treat to enhance your coffee experience.
E-Z Coffee Cake
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Ready in: 30 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 2 cups baking mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup baking mix
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine or cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- For cake:
- Combine baking mix with sugar
- Add milk and egg and beat vigorously for 1/2 minute or until just moistened
- Spread into the greased cake pan
- For topping:
- Combine baking mix with brown sugar and cinnamon
- Mix in margarine until crumbly
- Sprinkle topping over batter
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For the baking mix, use a pre-packaged biscuit mix, such as Bisquick.
- To lighten the recipe, use sugar substitutes, low-fat (skim) milk, low-fat biscuit mix, egg substitutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped nuts to topping mix.
- Add 1/2 cup raisins to cake mix.
Whether enjoying my first cup while watching the sun rise over the Blue Ridge from my deck or over the Potomac from my train seat, I like mine bare-footed - strong, hot, and black. Besides coffee and baseball, I enjoy creating quality technical documentation for my clients.